Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Tavi, the Creator


Tavi, The Creator
an attempt

     Even as a little girl, I never was a fangirl. I faked liking Barbies to keep the playdates regular, burying the dolls alive under my bed after the coast was clear. I later realized that I should just accept my inability to be a fan. Watching girls my age become fanatic aliens over things like Twilight and One Direction, I knew I was on the outside, but at least I still had somewhat control of myself (you know, compared to them).
   My first landmark fangirl-dom revolves around Rookie editor/creator/mastermind/goddess Tavi Gevinson (yes, you called it). It all started when I bought Rookie Yearbook One a year after it was released. I had tried avoiding it in the aisles of Barnes and Nobles in search of reading books, "real books" my mom said. Eventually, I got the idea to go out with my grandma and acquired my first piece of Rookie. I remember reading it on the car ride home, feeling like I was in a trance. I came back to California a different person. And (dramatic, I know) it was the truth.
   So naturally, when it came to portrait drawing, there is no other face than Tavi Gevinson's that I would sketch on the FIRST PAGE of a NEW SKETCHBOOK (a big deal if you ask me). The nose in my attempt is too narrow, the eyes off a bit. That may symbolize my inexperience and Tavi may symbolize a person (an idol) that was a mark in the time of my life that I discovered a lot about a lot.
 


No comments: