Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Cecilia (The Virgin Suicides)


 
 
"The trees, like lungs, fill with air. My sister, the mean one, is pulling my hair."

   This one was kind of me trying to make tangible my brain explosion after watching The Virgin Suicides (I read the book first, which is actually not a habit of mine, so I feel accomplished). I was pretty confused after reading the book. What was the point? Just . . . what was this? It wasn't until I watched the movie that everything (mostly, still a little fuzzy) made sense. We are made to focus on the Lisbon girls, naturally, as we see the story through the boys' perspective. Seeing the boys as separate people in the movie, and being able to see the story play out as a separate party, made me realize that it was the boys who carried the message.
  The quote that lays over Cecilia's eyes is her own words. This might be my favorite quote from fiction. It's kind of funny, if you think about it.
  On canvas. Prismacolor colored pencils, acrylics, molding paste, matte medium, glass bead gel for mediums. Sketch paper, colored cardstock, china marker, lace, printer paper and ink, string, faux flowers and charm for accents.

No comments: